A man is fighting for his life and two others are seriously injured after a horror stabbing on Formby beach.
Police and paramedics were called to the National Trust site at around 7.10pm on Sunday to reports that three men had been stabbed.
The area is closed off and a cordon was put in place on Victoria Road as three men were airlifted to hospital.
Merseyside Police have today confirmed that a 20-year-old man is in a critical but stable condition in hospital.
The two other victims, aged 20 and 16, are described as being in a serious but not life-threatening condition.
Detective Superintendent Mark Baker said: “We believe that this was an unprovoked attack.
“Last night, officers spoke to a large number of people who were leaving the beach to gather vital intelligence. Every piece of information we are given is vital to our investigation, so I’d like to ask anyone who saw what happened to come forward as soon as possible.
“We understand that this shocking event will cause considerable distress to the community in Sefton, and we are working around the clock to identify who was responsible and bring them to justice.
A police spokesperson said on Monday that the stabbing was believed to have been an “unprovoked” attack.
The beach is open to the public but detectives remain in the area while a full investigation is carried out.
Pictures show a cordon in place along a stretch of the beach and several police cars parked up on the sand.