Breaking News

6 ARRESTS,5 INJURED IN LUTON FIGHT

Police have launched a major investigation following large-scale violent disorder in Luton.

The shocking scenes took place in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday) and has resulted in six arrests.

At around 12.45am, police were called to Dunstable Road following reports of fighting among a group of men, some armed with weapons believed to be knives, machetes and bats.

Emergency services attended the scene and five people were taken to hospital with various injuries, with one man having life changing injuries. Officers provided first aid at the scene.

One man in his 20s has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in connection with the incident and is currently in police custody for questioning.

Arrests after fighting

Four men in their 20s and one man in his 40s were also arrested on suspicion of violent disorder in connection with the incident.

Two of the men are currently in hospital being treated for their injuries. Road closures in the Dunstable Road and Kenilworth Road areas are still in place to assist with the investigation.

Detective Sergeant Ryan Barnes, leading the investigation, said: “This was a scene of appalling violence involving multiple people fighting and causing deliberate harm to one and other and we will not tolerate this type of violent activity in Luton.

“We have arrested six men in connection with the disorder, but we believe there are many others involved so we are urging anyone with information to come forward so we can identify those involved in this deplorable incident.

“If anyone saw or heard anything at all, or has mobile phone or dash cam footage, then we would really like to hear from you.

“We are aware of a number of videos circulating on social media. If we are to give the best chance of securing justice for the victims, we would ask that people do not share films or images, and refrain from speculating on the incident.”

Chief Inspector Jamie Langwith from the Luton Community Policing team said: “It is understandable that this incident will be very concerning for the local residents.

Our officers will maintain a policing presence in the area, especially throughout this evening, to provide that extra reassurance and will be speaking to anyone who has any concerns or information about what happened.

“We are working to establish what sparked this disgraceful behaviour on our streets and are urging people to report anything they may have seen to us.

“You don’t have to talk to us – if you have information or concerns, you can speak to Crimestoppers anonymously and in confidence.”

Cllr Simmons MBE, Leader of Luton Council said: “I am utterly appalled and saddened to hear of the dreadful outbreak of violence in our town last night. Such behaviour is completely unacceptable at any time, but it is especially distasteful that it has taken place at the time of an important celebration for so many throughout Luton.

An incident such as this not only serves to give our town and its population a bad name, but increases our resolve to clamp down on all violent crime. Our residents do not deserve to experience this and we will do all we can to ensure people’s peaceful lives are not threatened in any way.

Luton pair jailed for “vicious and frenzied” gangland stabbing

Two men involved in a gangland stabbing in Luton have been jailed for a total of more than 14 years.

Clayton Newton and Jordan Jones targeted a man who belonged to a rival gang during the attack in Eaton Green Road earlier this year.

The police said the pair launched a frenzied attack, specifically targeting the victim who was sitting in a vehicle.

The man’s injuries were initially thought to be life threatening but he is now recovering. 

A member of the public saw part of the attack and reported to police that the attackers had fled the scene in a white Vauxhall Corsa parked nearby. Police said that initial tip lead to them tracking the pair down.

Newton, 21, of Anmer Gardens, Luton, pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of a bladed article. Jones, 20, of Crawley Green Road, Luton, also pleaded guilty to the GBH offence.

Jones and Newton were intent on causing the victim huge harm, all in the name of gangland rivalry. Given the ferocity and remorselessness of this attack, it is lucky the victim did not come to more serious harm.DC Colin Knight, from Bedfordshire Police’s Boson guns and gangs team

“Without that initial caller having the courage to tell us about this stabbing and the vehicle the attackers were leaving in, so much of this good work which happened afterwards would not have been possible,” Colin Knight added.Newton was jailed for eight years and three months, as well as a concurrent sentence of nine months for the weapons offence. Jones received a prison sentence of six years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *