• Sun. Jul 3rd, 2022

Man ran over by hit and run driver while in police custody after knife arrest

Byscarcity news

Sep 4, 2021

A bizarre series of events has led to a suspect allegedly involved in a knife attack ending up in a critical condition in hospital.

Manchester police have not directly said he escaped their custody while they took him to a hospital for treatment after his arrest.

But the police watchdog is reviewing evidence before considering whether to take action after a man was hit by a car hours after being detained by officers. 

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has confirmed it is looking at the incident near Salford Royal Hospital on Friday (August 27), which left a man in his 20s in a ‘critical’ condition.

Police were called out to Potato Wharf, in Castlefield, at around 11.30pm last Thursday following reports of an ‘aggressive man armed with a knife attacking another male’. 

Officers rushed to the scene and detained a man in his 20s on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon.

He was then taken to Salford Royal Hospital.

But later, the same man was involved in a hit-and-run crash near the hospital with a car that failed to stop at the scene, Greater Manchester Police said.

Last Friday, GMP said the man had been left in a ‘critical but stable condition’ in hospital, and the force had referred the incident to both the IOPC and GMP’s Professional Standards Branch.

In a statement released today (August 31), a spokesperson for the IOPC said: “A man was seriously injured after being hit by a car in Salford on August 27.

“We have received a referral from Greater Manchester Police due to the fact he had contact with officers prior to the incident.

“We will now assess the available information to determine what further action may be required

After the crash, drivers had been asked to avoid the area and bus services were diverted, before the road was reopened by 9.30am.

In a statement issued last Friday (August 27), a GMP spokesperson said: “Officers were called to Potato Wharf, Manchester city centre, at about 11.30pm on August 26 to reports of an aggressive man armed with a knife attacking another male.

“A man in his 20s was initially detained on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon. He was subsequently transported to Salford Royal Hospital by officers.

“Some time afterwards the man was in collision with a small silver hatchback that failed to stop.

“The incident has been referred to GMP’s Professional Standards Branch and the Independent Office for Police Conduct. 

“GMP’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit is investigating the collision and is appealing for witnesses.”