• Thu. Jun 30th, 2022

Serving Met Detective used spy cameras to perv on over 50 victims

Byscarcity news

Sep 13, 2021

Pervert Detective Inspector Neil Corbel hid the cameras in tissue boxes, phone chargers, his glasses and even air fresheners.

He admitted 19 offences relating to spying on naked women.

He also admitted pretending to be a pilot and arranging fake photoshoots.

He put the cameras in hotel rooms, flats and b&bs across the country.

131 hours of footage was obtained by police after a model who had agreed to pose naked found the spy cameras and reported him.

Corbel was a counter terror officer and had been suspended after the claims came to light.

The serving officer has pleaded guilty to a number of voyeurism offences.

Detective Inspector Neil Corbel, 40, from the Met’s Continuous Policing Improvement Command, was charged by postal charge requisition on Wednesday, 11 August, with 19 counts of voyeurism within the Greater London, Manchester and Brighton areas, and within the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court, between January 2017 and February 2020.

DI Corbel was not on duty at the time of the offences. 

He appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday, 13 September, where he pleaded guilty to all counts. He will next appear at the same court on Monday, 4 October.

It follows an investigation by the Met’s Central East Command Unit.

Detective Chief Superintendent Marcus Barnett, who leads the Central East Command Unit, said: “These are grave and troubling offences.

He is from the Hertfordshire area and judge said he faces a potential jail sentence.

The investigation has been complex and I know that the team who have investigated this have worked incredibly hard.

It is vital that the public feel that they can trust the police and, if an officer undermines that trust, it is important that their crimes are investigated thoroughly and robustly.

“The victims in this case have shown incredible strength throughout the investigation and I would like to thank them for their courage and patience throughout.

I am truly disappointed in the actions of the officer which are not at all representative of the high values and standards we expect, and I am saddened by the pain and hurt that he has caused.”

DI Corbel is currently suspended from duty. Misconduct proceedings will now follow.

This is the second high ranking officer in two months to be convicted of the same offences on the same force.

Shower pervert

A police sergeant from London’s Metropolitan Police, who used his iPhone to spy on a woman whilst she was showering, has been spared jail.

Detective Sergeant Benjamin McNish attempted to film a woman whilst she showered, but was spotted and caught when his victim noticed that a phone had appeared over the top of the door.

The victim, who cannot be identified, said that she felt “confused and shocked” when she caught the Met Police sergeant outside her shower on 18 February 2019.

The 30-year-old, who was staying in police accommodation for a course in Camden, attempted to film the woman, using his iPhone, through a glass panel which was installed above the bathroom door.

When the woman noticed the phone, she became concerned that someone was taking photographs of her and ran out of the bathroom in her towel to confront Mr McNish.

Southwark Crown Court heard that the sergeant had used the shower just before the victim, claiming that he had returned to look for his razor, which he said he had lost and had needed to use to shave before some work drinks.

He was apparently using his phone to do this as he is short sighted, calling the device an “extension of my eyes.”

Following the event, Mr McNish was arrested and suspended from the force, awaiting misconduct proceedings.

In June, he was convicted of one count of voyeurism and on Wednesday was handed a 20-week prison sentence, suspended for two years, said the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

As well as this, he will be put on the sex offender’s register for a total of seven years and must complete a sexual offenders’ programme, attend rehabilitation and pay £750.

Detective Chief Superintendent Stephen Clayman of the Met Police, who runs the East Area Command Unit, said that Mr McNish’s behaviour was “unacceptable”.

He said: “I would like to reiterate that this sort of behaviour is completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

“It is right that DS McNish has been held to account for his actions as a result of this investigation.

“Although the offence was committed whilst off-duty, he will now face MPS misconduct proceedings. Consideration will be given to accelerating these proceedings.”

Following the verdict, Andrew Levin, from the CPS, said: “Benjamin McNish was a serving policeman who observed a woman showering without her consent for his own sexual gratification.

“This was a private act that McNish had no right to observe. He violated the victim’s privacy by spying on her in a bathroom. His actions were clearly illegal and wholly unacceptable.

“During the trial McNish claimed that he had just been using his phone to look for his razor by the sink, but the prosecution was able to prove to the jury that this was an absurd lie.”

Mr McNish comes from Benfleet in Essex, is married with two children and was promoted to the position of sergeant just three years after having joined the Met Police.


Hundreds of officers from Britain’s biggest police force accused of sex attacks never face any kind of disciplinary proceedings, The Independentcan reveal.

Figures obtained via freedom of information requests show just one in every 18 members of the Metropolitan Police accused of sexual assault is ever subject to formal action against them.

Between the start of 2012 and 2 June 2018, a total of 562 officers were accused of sexual assault and only 43 faced subsequent proceedings, according to data released under the Freedom of Information Act. Of those 43, 31 had formal action taken against them, and the remaining 12 were subject to informal “management action”. Eighty-five cases are still being considered. But the vast majority – 420 – faced no action.

Some 313 of the accusations were made by members of the public, while the remaining 249 came from fellow police staff.

Of those 562, 14 retired or resigned. Of those 14, a single officer was forced to undergo a formal investigation that saw them stripped of their pension.