Breaking News

PC David Henigan convicted of sexually assaulted 2 under 18 yr old girls

Met officer has had gross misconduct allegations against him proven following a misconduct hearing which concluded on Tuesday, 12 October.

Former PC David Henigan, who was attached to the Roads and Transport Policing Command (RTPC), faced allegations that he breached the Standards of Professional Behaviour in relation to Discreditable conduct.

On 6 September 2019, former PC Henigan sexually touched two females aged under 18 while off-duty at a nightclub in Kingston.

After considering the evidence available, the panel found the allegations proven at the level of gross misconduct. Had former PC Henigan remained a serving police officer, he would have been dismissed without notice.

Former PC Henigan will be added to the barred list held by the College of Policing. Those appearing on the list cannot be employed by police, local policing bodies (PCCs), the IOPC or HMIC.

Chief Superintendent Simon Ovens, in charge of RTPC, said: “The actions of former PC Henigan are completely unacceptable and at odds with the high standards that we strive for.

“All women have the right to feel safe from sexual harassment and there is no place in our organisation for anyone who does not share the same values.

We welcome the outcome today that had he still been serving, PC Henigan would have been dismissed without notice.”

Detective fired

In a another example this week a misconduct hearing has found that a former officer who had an inappropriate relationship with a suspect would have been dismissed from the Metropolitan Police Service.

Former Detective Constable John McCarthy, previously based at the North Area Basic Command Unit, was found to have breached the Standards of Professional Behaviour in respect of Discreditable Conduct, Honesty and Integrity, Orders and Instructions and Authority, Respect and Courtesy at a level of gross misconduct. 

Former DC McCarthy resigned from the Met on Sunday, 5 September.

The hearing, which concluded on Tuesday, 12 October, was told how former DC McCarthy engaged in an inappropriate relationship with a woman while investigating possible offences where she was the named suspect.

The inappropriate relationship, which began prior to 13 April 2017, included sexual contact with the woman. Former DC McCarthy also engaged in sexual relations while on duty on 22 March 2017, as well as on other occasions.

He continued to have an inappropriate relationship with the woman after it was determined that no further action should be taken in the investigation in which she was named as a suspect.

Superintendent Simon Crick, commander of the North Area Basic Command Unit, said: “Engaging in a sexual relationship with someone you are investigating as a suspect goes against the core principle that a police officer should discharge his or her duties with fairness, integrity and impartiality.

“The actions of this individual undermine all of the work that my officers do on a daily basis, which is courageous , professional and carried out with the highest levels of integrity.

“The one positive thing to come out of this is that this individual is no longer a police officer. I want our community to know that I am sickened by such behaviour. I hope this demonstrates my commitment and the organisation’s commitment to root out any individual who abuses their position of trust as a police officer.

“The public deserve to have trust and confidence in the police and the outcome demonstrates how committed the Met is to rooting out wrongdoing within the organisation.”

The hearing was also told how former DC McCarthy failed to declare a high level of outstanding debt and didn’t notify the MPS about a County Court summons and subsequent County Court Judgement.

He also failed to declare gifts sent to him as is required by the Gifts and Hospitality Policy. 

After considering the evidence put before the hearing, the chair, Ms Catherine Elliott, concluded that had former DC McCarthy still been a serving officer, he would have been dismissed without notice.

He will also be added to the barred list held by the College of Policing.

Those appearing on the list cannot be employed by police, local policing bodies (PCCs), the Independent Office for Police Conduct or Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary.

Violent Copper would have been sacked

A misconduct hearing has found that a former police officer convicted of assault would have been dismissed without notice had he still been a serving officer.

Former PC George Umunna, previously attached to the West Area Command Unit, appeared at Reading Crown Court on Wednesday, 2 June where he pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm, relating to a domestic assault whilst off duty.

He was sentenced on the same day to three years and four months’ imprisonment.

Umunna had been suspended from duty and resigned on Tuesday, 1 June.

A special case hearing was held on Thursday, 14 October to consider allegations that Umunna’s conduct amounted to a breach of the Standards of Professional Behaviour in respect of discreditable conduct.

The hearing determined that the allegation was proven and that had Umunna been a serving officer, he would have been dismissed without notice. He will now be placed on the College of Policing (CoP) barred list meaning he cannot serve as a police officer or in a number of other related roles in the future.

Chief Superintendent Peter Gardner, who leads the West Area Command, said: “The way that George Umunna behaved is awful and does not reflect the values that we stand for and strive to uphold. Our thoughts are with the victim of this terrible crime.

“Our community deserves the best of its police force and I want residents to know that this type of conduct has absolutely no place in the Met.”

Harrassment

PC Ajay Singh, 24, who was previously attached to the North Area Command Unit, was sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court on Thursday, 14 October for five counts of harassment in relation to five colleagues – four women and a man.

Singh pleaded guilty at the same court on Thursday, 20 May. He was also ordered to pay his colleagues compensation, complete 250 hours’ unpaid work and was handed a restraining order. The prison sentence is suspended for two years.

During October 2020, Singh, whilst off duty, made a number of malicious and threatening phone calls to the officers. All calls were made from a ‘no caller ID’ number and the victims were subjected to direct threats, personal insults and verbal abuse.

One of the victims reported the matter on 19 October 2020 and following enquiries by officers, it was established that the phone used during the offences belonged to Singh.

He was arrested the same day and released on bail.

On 16 November 2020 he was further arrested in connection to the offences against the remaining victims.

Singh was charged on 11 March 2021 via postal requisition.

Singh had been suspended from duty on 26 October 2020. At a misconduct hearing on 17 August 2021, he was found to have breached the Standards of Professional Behaviour in relation to discreditable conduct to the level of gross misconduct and was dismissed from the Met.

Superintendent Simon Crick, in charge of policing for Enfield and Haringey, said:“The actions of former PC Singh were reprehensible, particularly given they were committed against his own colleagues. They had a significant negative impact on his victims.

“His motive for these malicious offences remains unclear. This kind of conduct has no place in the Met.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *