Brothers travelled 208 miles to murder own brother

This shocking footage shows the moment a man was stabbed to death through a car window by his own brother. 

Thomas Rogers, 26, was knifed in the chest through the open window after a family feud.

His siblings David Rogers, 32, and Samuel Rogers, 30, were both initially charged with his murder and on Thursday (15 October) the former, of South Shields, Tyneside, was jailed for life after being found guilty of murder. 

Samuel Rogers, of Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, was jailed for nine years after being cleared of murder but convicted of manslaughter.

During the case, jurors were told the brothers carried out the attack after a family fall-out which had led to Thomas going to live with his mother.

In the run-up to the attack, David had sent him messages threatening to kill him, with one saying: “Bro come on ive come from Newcastle to get ya”.

On the day of the attack on 22 August last year the siblings, armed with knives, spotted Thomas travelling along Bristol Road in Birmingham.


Harrowing footage shows the men pulling over the Ford Ka they were in and approaching the Vauxhall Astra with Thomas inside.

The footage captures the moment David lunged into the vehicle, stabbing his brother in an attack that lasted just 30 seconds.

Thomas was found by emergency services collapsed in the street but died in hospital from the stab wound to his chest. 

David went on to travel to a hotel in Northumbria where police officers found an apparent suicide note apologising for what he had done to his “baby brother”.

Detective Inspector Stuart Mobberley, from West Midlands Police, said: “It took just 30 seconds and one single knife wound to kill Thomas. And now two people will spend years in prison for their part in this crime.

“When we say there are no winners in knife crime, this could not be truer in this case.

“A mother has lost not just one, but three sons as a result of this heinous crime.”


Two other men, Ryan Hurt, 22, of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, and Macauley Welby, 22, of no fixed abode, were both cleared of murder.

Tipton murder

In another recent murder in West midlands,

Two men have been jailed for life after being found guilty of murdering a man who was viciously assaulted in a Sandwell park last summer.

Anthony Bird was attacked in Victoria Park, Tipton on the morning of Sunday 26 July 2020 by Steven Bennett and Suni Singh Gill.


Horrified families with children witnessed the pair repeatedly kick and punch Anthony in a savage attack. 

Bennett and Gill fled the park leaving Anthony lying unresponsive on the floor. He eventually got up and despite the severity of his injuries managed to make his way to his niece’s house, a short walk from the park.


When Anthony arrived she took one look at him and immediately called an ambulance.

Anthony was taken to hospital with serious head injuries, a fractured jaw and cheekbone. He remained in hospital for over two weeks where his health rapidly deteriorated and he sadly passed away on 12 August. 

Although CCTV didn’t capture the assault, it did capture Bennett and Gill after they had assaulted Anthony which showed them laughing and re-enacting the disgusting attack they had just carried out.

An investigation had already been launched into the assault of Anthony with Bennett and Gill identified through witness statements and CCTV. 

Items were seized from Bennett and Gill’s homes. A pair of trainers belonging to Bennett were recovered and analysed, showing traces of Anthony’s blood on the sole. 

Bennett was interviewed and claimed that he had been falsely identified. Gill answered no comment throughout his interview. 

Following a lengthy trial, yesterday (12 Oct) at Wolverhampton Crown Court, Stephen Bennett and Suni Singh Gill were found guilty of Anthony’s murder. They were jailed for life with a minimum of 18 years today.

Anthony’s family said: “We have to live with the memory of visiting our dad in hospital following the violent attack on him last summer. It was huge shock to see how badly beaten Dad had been and it is a memory that we are worried will stay with us forever. 

“Our dad was an extremely caring and kind man. He was very proud of his children and was over the moon to be a grandfather. Sadly he never got to meet his second grandson who was born a month after he was killed. 

“We will never understand why anybody would want to take our dad’s life in such a brutal manner.

We can only hope and place our trust in the justice system to punish those responsible accordingly.” 

Detective Inspector Adam Jobson, from Force CID, said: “This was a vicious attack on Anthony in front of horrified families and young children. 

“I want to say a massive thank you to the witnesses who came forward and provided important information. Without a doubt we couldn’t have got here without you. 

“Our hearts go out to the family of Anthony who have sat through this trial and have listened to many untruthful things about their father. I hope they can take some comfort knowing their father’s attackers are now behind bars.”

Last updated13th October 2021

About Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *