• Sat. Nov 27th, 2021

10 year old among atleast 10 dead at Travis Scott Astroworld concert

HOUSTON, Texas A 10 year old boy is among 10 people died Friday night and hundreds of others were injured during the opening night of a popular weekend music festival at NRG Park, authorities said.

He has been named online as Thomas Drought but police have not confirmed this offcially.

It happened at the third-annual Astroworld Festival, a sold-out concert event featuring multiple acts

The worst of the incident began around 9:15 p.m. when the crowd of approximately 50,000 concert-goers began to move toward the front of the stage, according to Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña.

“The crowd began to compress toward the front of the stage, and people began to panic,” Peña said.

Advertisements

The view from SkyEye overhead Friday night showed the heavy police and fire department activity in the area of the event as organizers ended it early.

The organizers, rapper Travis Scott and LiveNation, stopped the show when it was apparent that multiple people were hurt, according to Houston Police Chief Troy Finner.

While the most deadly moments happened after 9:30 p.m., Peña said more than 300 patients total had been treated at a field hospital since the event began, including people who were hurt during the worst moments.

While names and ages of the casualties weren’t known, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said one of the victims was 10-years-old.

Houston Fire Department and Harris County medics transported 23 people to hospitals, 17 of those patients were taken away during the worst of the ordeal, according to Peña, who also said CPR had to be performed on 11 of the victims.

Advertisements

HFD had 55 units in-service for the festival, Peña said.

Festival founder Travis Scott, a rapper and Missouri City native, was joined on stage by Drake in a surprise appearance as the crowd surged

HPD Executive Assistant Chief Larry Satterwhite was on-duty at the festival along with 367 police officers and 241 security officers. He gave his first-hand account during an early morning press conference.

“Once we started having the mass casualty incident, they were starting CPR on several people, and it happened all at once,” Satterwhite said. “It seemed like it happened over the course of just a few minutes.

Suddenly, we had several people down on the ground experiencing some type of cardiac arrest or some type of medical episode.”

Medical transports were already at the park for the multi-day festival, but staff was quickly overwhelmed with injured people, authorities said.

Investigators were dispatched to hospitals Saturday morning in an attempt to identify the victims. The Harris County Medical Examiner’s Office will determine how the eight people died.

The rest of the weekend’s planned performances were canceled, and the area is now a crime scene as investigators work to find out what exactly happened.

“At some point, the show was stopped when the crowd was surging,” Finner said as he noted the event’s promoters were cooperating with investigators.

It wasn’t yet clear what caused the deaths or injuries. Finner early Saturday shot down any early speculation about the multiple fatalities.

“There are a lot of rumors going around,” Finner said. “We have hurting families out here.”

Organizers with Astroworld Festival released the following statement early Saturday morning:

“Our hearts are with the Astroworld Festival family tonight – especially those we lost and their loved ones. We are focused on supporting local officials however we can.

With that in mind the festival will no longer be held on Saturday.

As authorities mentioned in their press conference earlier, they are looking into the series of cardiac arrests that took place.

If you have any relevant information on this, please reach out to Houston Police.

Thank you to our partners at the Houston Police Department, Fire Department, and NRG Park for their response and support.”

A reunification center was set up at 8686 Kirby Drive near the South Loop at the Wyndham Houston hotel for family members to connect with their loved ones who may have attended the festival.

The reunion location is being staffed by personnel from Houston Police, the Houston Fire Department and counselors, authorities said.

City leaders urged family members to visit the location if they haven’t been in touch with their loved ones who attended the concert.

“If you’re a relative, (and your) family member was at this event and you have not spoken to this individual, we have units available to assist,” Finner said.

Residents from outside the Houston-area who haven’t heard loved ones who attended the festival can call 832-393-2991 or 832-393-2990.

While it was too early to know if the deaths or injuries were the result of criminal activity, Finner said his department investigating any possibilities.

“Until we determine what happened, what caused the surge, we don’t know,” Finner said. “We will find out.

Is there anything criminal? We don’t know.”

The deadly incident came hours after a massive crowd stormed the perimeter of NRG Park, creating a chaotic situation for security personnel and event staff. Finner said the two events were not related.

Multiple fans were trampled Friday afternoon as hundreds rushed the event’s perimeter, knocking down metal detectors and a security screening area. It still wasn’t clear Saturday if anyone suffered major injuries during the earlier incident.

The event’s 100,000 tickets sold out within an hour of going on sale back in May.

Travis Scott, the popular rapper and organizer, launched the Astroworld Festival in 2018. Like most other large events, it was canceled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

One thought on “10 year old among atleast 10 dead at Travis Scott Astroworld concert”
  1. so the 10year old picture is on a soyndcloud enzio-thon site as someone commented on my twitter but did not complete communication as there was no time date stamp visible of the image they showed…
    the male child pictured needs to be found or clearly stated is or is not head injuries battered to DEATH
    YES THEASTROWORLD 2021 IS Jacques Bermon Webster Ii IS CRIMINAL.
    IN EMERGENCY RESPONSE time is essential and as emergency vehicles are seen during end of one song… this guy intentionally will start another song and incite …
    which he has a history of doing… and I wonder how is he allowed to even perform in lieu of the 2015 shoe show?
    the few who swiftly tried to dispel a 10year old boy pictured was murdered seem to have revealed much info about how far in advance the pictured boy was targeted … encouraged to be at places no 19 year old should be… even accompanied by parents. cause of the mood of which was clearly encouraged ie inherent libability is a crime… there is no right to allow desenitized gamer persons who rage kill online into large groups for them to have their thrill kills…
    stop this now
    ps bringing it all the way home
    a female who could not ever pass an adoption process is allowed to purchase anothers baby as the entire world knows she is extremely violent danger to others and is using the baby as a publicity stunt thinking she will not be prosecuted for all the horrible crimes she is doing and has done…
    I am elderly and I am traqumatized by this delay of truth accuracy of the news press media and officials…
    600 onduty for an event that incites mass populations into violence and total lack of disregard…
    frequencys bombarded the 1994 L.A. Riots … so that police force could increase …
    it is not the local native people who are violent…
    these tactics are destroying communities and employed officials are conspiring colluding and criminal

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisements