• Sun. Sep 25th, 2022

3 arrests as 1 person dead as taxi explodes outside Liverpool hospital at 11am

Byscarcity news

Nov 14, 2021

One person has been confirmed dead and another person has been injured following a car explosion at Liverpool Women’s Hospital. Counter Terrorism Police are now leading the investigation supported by Merseyside Police, however it has not been declared a terror incident at this stage.

Chief Constable Serena Kennedy has confirmed that a person has died after a car explosion outside the Liverpool Women’s Hospital this morning. Pictures show a car engulfed in flames outside the Liverpool Women’s Hospital. A locals company called “Delta” is the owner of the taxi that exploded. A former soldier called Kevin Culbertson has said online his friend was the driver of the taxi and is injured, he is also a hero in the situation. Upon realising the person in his taxi had a bomb he got out and locked them inside. He suffered the brunt of the impact.

In the shocking images, you can see fire ripping through the entire vehicle as witnesses captured the photos from just yards away. Flames three metres high can be seen blazing out of the window frames sending thick black smoke into the air. Another photograph shows a burnt-out car outside the entrance to the Crown Street hospital. Shocking footage has captured the moment a number of explosions can be heard near the entrance of the Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

The video shows a large plume of smoke billowing into the sky while a number of loud bangs are heard as fire crews arrive at the scene. Merseyside Police has issued a statement regarding the cordon around the hospital. A number of surrounding roads have also been closed. There have been reports of similar police presence at Boaler Street where one eyewitness said armed police were searching houses. The two road closures come after a major incident was declared at the Liverpool Women’s Hospital where one person has been killed and another injured when a taxi exploded outside the entrance. Liverpool Women’s remains cordoned off by emergency services and the public has been urged to remain calm “but vigilant”. The hospital has been closed to all visitors as the investigation continues.

Merseyside Police’s chief constable Serena Kennedy gave a statement outside the hospital today, and said: “We can confirm that at 10.59am today (Sunday, 14 November) police were called to reports of a car explosion at the Women’s Hospital in Liverpool city centre. “Police immediately attended, along with Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service and the North West Regional Ambulance Service. “Unfortunately, we can confirm that one person has died and another has been taken to hospital where he is being treated for his injuries, which thankfully are not life threatening.


“So far we understand that the car involved was a taxi which pulled up at the hospital shortly before the explosion occurred. “Work is still going on to establish what has happened, and could take some time before we are in a position to confirm anything. “We are keeping an open mind as to what caused the explosion but given how it has happened, out of caution, Counter Terrorism Police are leading the investigation supported by Merseyside Police. Three men have been arrested under the Terrorism Act following a taxi explosion at Liverpool Women’s Hospital. Counter terrorism police confirmed the arrests of the men, aged 21, 26 and 29 in the Kensington area of Liverpool. Armed police had been seen on Boaler Street, Molyneux Road, Cambria Street South and Sutcliffe Street earlier today as Merseyside Police closed off the road.



About Author