Rock band guitarist charged with murder of Bobbi Anne Mcleod in Plymouth

Bobbi-Anne McLeod was last seen leaving her home in Leigham at around 6pm on Saturday 20 November. Bobbi was a normal 18 year old described as “energetic and kind” she was off out to meet her friends and boyfriend in town at a bar the evening she vanished.

The search commenced and a facebook group to help gathered 10k followers soon after.

Forensics recovered “airpods” (earphones) and tobacco at the bus stop on Sheepstor road.

Her friends were quoted as saying “she put up a fight,this proves it”

Detectives probing the death of a teenager are understood to be working on the theory she was abducted by strangers and have not ruled out others being involved.

Bobbi-Anne McLeod went missing on Saturday, and police have sealed off a beach seven miles from where she disappeared.

Police sadly found the body near Bovisand, south of Plymouth, after receiving information from joggers.


Police arrests

Devon and Cornwall Police have now said investigators have been granted more time to question a 24-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of murder on Tuesday.

Assistant Chief Constable Nikki Leaper said outside Crownhill police station in Plymouth: “I can confirm that at this time there is no known link between the suspect and the victim.

“I would like to reassure the public that at this time we are not seeking anyone else in relation to this matte


Local man Stuart Fullard, 54, said he believes he may have been one of the last people to see Bobbi-Anne alive.

He told The Mirror: “I was driving past the bus stop about Saturday tea time and I saw a young girl sat there, beside two older people either side of her, I wouldn’t have thought anything of it but I thought she was dressed very distinctively in cut jeans and fishnet tights.

“I actually thought she looked so young and did not realise she was 18.


Community mourns

Later on in the day Bobbi-Anne’s brother Lee was among those to lay flowers at the bus stop as a growing floral shrine continued to grow although he declined to add to his earlier tribute.

But among the fresh tributes left where also one by her cousin, which read: “Sadly you have gained your wings and been taken too soon. Your forever in our hearts.

“Wouldn’t have anyone better by my side or to say was family no matter. You’ll always be that bundle of joy, I’ll call my cousin. I love you so much. You were my rock.”

One woman who was laying flowers but asked to remain anonymous, said: “It’s just so surreal, it’s unbelievable. Plymouth is shocking at the minute.

“I just feel numb. She didn’t deserve this. She was just too young, too soon.

“My daughter grew up around here and knew her all her life. They grew up together.

“It’s like losing a part of the family”.

Formal identification hasn’t been carried out but the family of 18-year-old Bobbi-Anne Mcleod were informed of the development and they continue to be supported by specialist officers.

“Officers on the ground have been and are continuing to be supported by specialist resources whilst extensive searches and forensic examination of a number of scenes is carried out.

“These searches are expected to continue into the coming days and the public can expect to see an increased visible police presence during that time. We apologise for any disruption these searches may cause to our communities.”


Hundreds of people gathered to pay their respects to a teenager in Plymouth, as police ruled out any “known link” between the victim and a man suspected of murdering her.

Bobbi-Anne McLeod’s mother Donna thanked the crowds for their love and support over the past few days during the candlelit vigil in the Leigham area of the city on Thursday evening.

She said: “Thank you for doing everything to try and find her and bring our baby home.”

The vigil was held at the bus stop where 18-year-old Bobbi-Anne was last seen at around 6pm on Saturday.


Cody in court

A 24-year-old rock musician has appeared before magistrates charged with the murder of 18-year-old Bobbi-Anne McLeod, who disappeared from a bus stop in Devon.

Cody James Ackland, who lives in the Southway area of Plymouth, appeared in court dressed in a grey sweatshirt and grey trousers, flanked by two custody officers.

During a two-minute hearing he spoke only to give his name, age and address before being remanded in custody. He is due to appear at Truro crown court in Cornwall on Monday.

Members of McLeod’s family watched from the public gallery and one of them shouted at Ackland as he was led from the dock. A small crowd gathered outside court to watch him being driven away.

McLeod, who was described as looking much younger than her age, went missing on Saturday evening and her body was found on Tuesday close to Bovisand beach, seven miles away.


Ackland attended a local school and is the lead guitarist and songwriter for a Plymouth indie rock band called Rakuda. Named after a bar on the city’s historic waterfront, the group has a loyal following in the area.

On Friday his bandmates issued a statement saying: “The remaining members of Rakuda are all extremely shocked and in complete disbelief by the tragic event that has unfolded over the last several days. Our thoughts and prayers are with Bobbi-Anne McLeod’s family and friends who must be devastated at their loss.

“As a mark of respect, we have decided that we shall not be going forward as a band and will be disbanding with immediate effect. We will not be making any further comments at this time.”

Nick Kelly MP

The Conservative leader of the city council, Nick Kelly, has been criticised after saying in an ITV News interview about the McLeod case: “Everybody has a responsibility to try to not put themselves in a compromising position.”

He went on to say that women should not need to be concerned about where they are walking or what they are wearing, but added: “That is probably not where we are right now.” The Labour party in the city has claimed the remarks are insensitive and has called for him to apologise. 

Illuminate festival 2021 was lit up purple last night as Plymouth mourned the news that a body had been found in connection with missing woman Bobbi-Anne McLeod.

The light show, which has been ongoing since November 15, is located in Royal William Yard and is free to attend up until November 28.

However, yesterday the spectacular lights became poignant symbol as they shone for Bobbi-Anne McLeod and all women who have suffered abuse and violence.

Flowers, beautiful poems, messages and photos are among the tributes placed on the grass verge opposite the bus stop on Bampton Road, with more and more flooding in. 

One tribute in particular has been laid in Leigham along with the hundreds of flowers – a photo of Bobbi-Anne wearing a glamorous red dress, at what appears to be her prom.


Prosecutor Gareth Warden said the case could only be heard at Plymouth Crown Court and the JPs had no power to grant bail.

He added that Ackland had to be remanded into custody to appear before Plymouth Crown Court on Monday.

Ackland, wearing a mask and grey prison uniform, spoke only to confirm his date of birth and address. He was represented by city solicitor Tracey Baker.

About Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *