Amir Khan has revealed he was robbed of his watch at gunpoint while on a night out in London with his wife.
The former boxing world champion was in Leyton in east London when he claims to have been approached by two men, one of whom demanded he hand over his watch while holding a gun to his head.
Khan confirmed both he and wife Faryal Makhdoom were safe. “Just had my watch taken off me at gun point in East London, Leyton,” he tweeted. “I crossed the road with Faryal, luckily she was few steps behind me. Two men ran to me, he asked for my watch whist having a gun pointed in my face. The main thing is we’re both safe.
Khan offered no further details in his post just before 10.30pm on Monday. The 35-year-old had been in Manchester at the weekend to watch rising star Conor Benn stop Chris van Heerden in the second round.
Khan stepped through the ropes after the fight and was called out by the undefeated son of a legend who has now won 21 fights as a professional. Khan was reluctant to engage with Benn, however, with a future fight between the pair all but ruled out.
Khan, the former WBA and IBF light-welterweight champion, was beaten by fellow Briton Kell Brook via a sixth-round stoppage in Manchester in February. That was the sixth defeat of a professional career featuring 34 wins, 21 by knockout, and he remains likely to retire.
The thugs snatched his £72,000 Franck Muller Vanguard Chronograph before speeding off in a car.
Hours earlier, Khan had been pictured with a fan while shopping in Oxford Street wearing his flashy timepiece, which is studded with 719 diamonds.
And he was also wearing it in an Instagram post from a charity bash at the Grosvenor House Hotel the night before.
It raised fears the crooks may have targeted Khan specifically.
An eyewitness said Olympic medallist boxer was shaken up by the ordeal.
The witness said of the robbers: “They were not hanging around. They got straight into the car and fled.
“Amir had enjoyed a lovely evening with his wife and had been shopping earlier in the day.
“It raises real fears he was a deliberate target. It’s extremely serious.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “Police were called at 21:15hrs on Monday, 18 April to High Road, Leyton.
“A man aged in his 30s is alleged to have been approached by two males who threatened him with a firearm before stealing his watch and fleeing.
“There were no reports of any shots fired or any injuries.
“Police responded and conducted an area search. At this very early stage there have been no arrests.
“An investigation has begun and police are following a number of enquiries.”