Residents have described hearing five gunshots and screaming as a teenage girl was shot in a South London street. Police were called to Lucas Street in Lewisham at 3.11am on Saturday (April 23) to reports of a shooting and multiple bullet casings have been found as forensics officers work to gather evidence.
Specialist firearms officers were among those who attended and found a woman, in her late teens, with a gunshot injury to her arm on Lewisham Way which connects to Lucas Street. A cluster of forensic markers have been placed on the corner where the roads meet.
The young woman was rushed to hospital but fortunately her condition is not life-threatening or life-changing. A section of Lewisham Way remains closed with the Met Police’s specialist gun crime TRIDENT officers now at the scene.
- Police were called to Lucas Street in Lewisham at 3.11am on Saturday (April 23) to reports of a shooting
- A woman in her late teens was found with a gunshot injury to her arm on Lewisham Way
- Eyewitnesses described hearing five gunshots followed by screaming
- The young woman was rushed to hospital but fortunately her condition is not life-threatening or life-changing
- A police cordon was in place throughout the day as forensic experts gathered evidence
- Multiple bullet casings were sent for specialist analaysis and a black Mercedes was photographed in the middle of the scene.
Scenes of Crime Officers (SOCO), seen here wearing blue suits, are still collecting evidence at the location of the shooting.
We know that multiple bullet casings have been sent for specialist analysis and a black Mercedes still sits in the middle of the scene.
A number of locals were telling police that there are high levels of drug and alcohol related problems around where the shooting took place. One person could be heard saying that it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
Police haven’t issued an update on the health of the woman who was shot in the arm, but earlier today they said her condition isn’t life threatening or life changing.
With several teams working to collect evidence within the crime scene on Lewisham Way and Lucas Street, the roads will be closed a while.
The Met have extended the crime scene to a grassy area opposite Pizza Hut on Lewisham Way.
The Pulsar team are using rakes to trawl through grass and flower beds for any evidence.