7 year old girl critical after 4 shot outside funeral in Camden

The shooting was outside St Aloysius Church on Phoenix Road, where the funeral of a mum and daughter was taking place. Mourners gathered to celebrate the lives of Fresia Calderon, 50, and her daughter, Sara Sanchez, 20, who died within a month of each other.

Fresia fainted whilst getting off a flight from Colombia to Heathrow Airport and died at the scene on November 5.

Doctors later blamed a pulmonary embolism, a rare blood clot that usually starts in the legs then gets stuck in an artery in the lungs. Sara died 25 days later, after first having been diagnosed with leukaemia aged 17. A family member said she ‘gave up all hope’ after her mum passed away.


Police rushed to Euston in Central London this afternoon (January 14) after three women and a seven-year-old girl were injured in a shooting while they were attending a funeral. The Met Police were called to St Aloysius Church on Phoenix Road, a small side street just outside Euston Station, just before 1.30pm today.

At the scene, medics found three women, aged 48, 54 and 41, all injured. All three were taken to hospital, and the 48-year-old woman’s injuries are potentially life changing. A seven-year-old girl was also injured in the same incident.


An air ambulance arrived at the scene and a police helicopter also surveyed the area. The police believe the shots may have been fired from a moving vehicle which then fled the scene.

London Ambulance Service have confirmed they treated all four victims at the scene on Phoenix Road, with one, the seven-year-old girl we now know is fighting for her life, being rushed to hospital as a priority.

A spokesperson for London Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 1.28pm today (14 January) to reports of a shooting in Phoenix Road, Camden.

“We sent three ambulance crews, five paramedics in fast response cars, an advanced paramedic and two incident response officers to the scene.

“We also dispatched London’s Air Ambulance. The first paramedic arrived in around five minutes.

“We treated four people at the scene, one of whom was seriously injured and was taken to a major trauma centre, as a priority. The others were taken to hospital.”


A witness who claims they were inside St Aloysius Church when the incident took place told a MyLondon reporter at the scene: “It was chaos. It was horrible.

“No one knew if it was a bomb or gunman. We were looking for places to hide.

We all just snuggled into corners where we could. We left after about 10 minutes, I did not dare [leave before]. It was not nice.”

Another witness at the scene took the Twitter to describe the chaos. The witness said: “Does anyone know what’s happening in #euston. […] 6 ambulances, 12 police cars. Air ambulance and police helicopter circling the area! The area has been #cordonedoff ”

Police have confirmed this afternoon that the seven-year-old girl who suffered gunshot wounds in the shooting is fighting for her life in hospital this evening.

Eversholt Street, near where the shooting occurred, is closed in both directions between Euston Road (Euston Station) and Oakley Square, according to traffic monitoring website Inrix.

Traffic is slow on the approach. Phoenix Road is also closed by St Aloysius Church, as a cordon is in place. There is limited access to Euston station from Euston Road. Bus routes 168 and 253 are on diversion.

The police’s initial enquiries suggest that the shots were fired from a moving vehicle which was then driven away from the scene.

One eyewitness, who attended the funeral at St Aloysius Church on Phoenix Road, said mourners were outside the church to see the release of doves when the incident took place.

Jo Ifghallal told MyLondon: “When the service finished, we were outside to see the flying of doves. A black car came and started to shoot bullets. It was chaotic!”


About Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *