A mysterious case has been launched by the police after a 52 year old male was found dead in a Tower Hamlets cemetery park.
Police have said they believe it may be a homophobic attack but they are also “keeping a open mind”
Police said initially “I would like to reassure them that an investigation is already under way, led by specialist homicide detectives.
“We are determined to find out, what happened and to identify the person or people responsible.
“At this early stage, we are keeping an open mind as to what has caused this fatal head injury.
“A post mortem examination will take place in due course which will provide greater clarity.
“I would urge anyone who saw or heard anything unusual in the vicinity of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, either this morning or last night, to come forward.
“Any information, no matter how small, could be extremely important to our investigation.”
Supt Daniel Rutland from the Central East Command Unit, which covers Tower Hamlets, added:
“I want to reassure local residents that this incident is being investigated by a team of specialist officers.
In the latest developments in the case detectives have arrested a man in connection with the incident.
A 36-year-old man was arrested on Friday, 20 August on suspicion of murder.
He has been taken into custody at a police station in east London.
Police were called by the London Ambulance Service (LAS) at approximately 07:00hrs on Monday, 16 August following reports that a 50-year-old man had been found unresponsive in Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, Southern Grove, E3.
Officers and LAS paramedics attended the scene and found the victim with a head injury.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
His next of kin have been informed.
A post-mortem examination conducted on Thursday, 19 August found the cause of death to have been blunt force trauma to the head.
Searches are ongoing at both the murder scene and a residential address in Tower Hamlets.
Enquiries remain ongoing.
Detective Superintendent Pete Wallis, of the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, said: “The investigation into this death is being conducted by homicide detectives who are committed to discovering the circumstances of this incident.
This arrest marks a significant development and officers have been working around the clock to bring justice to the victim and his family.
“Throughout our enquiries we have spoken to numerous members of the public, conducted house to house in the area and have trawled hours of CCTV, but we still need to hear from anyone who was in the area around Cemetery Park during the early hours of 16th August.
“The victim was attacked in what is suspected to be a homophobically motivated attack, but we remain open minded.
The investigation team are working with the LGBT Advisory Group.
This investigation is fast-paced, I would ask that people are aware of their surroundings and are vigilant in their personal safety.”
“The concern caused by the discovery of a body in these circumstances sends ripples throughout the community and may result in people discussing information that they have.
I urge anyone who hears anything relating to this murder to get in touch without delay.”
Superintendent Mike Hamer, Central East Leadership and Support, said: “We are shocked by the nature of this horrendous and brutal attack. Our thoughts are with the victim’s family and friends at this time.
“We, and our partners within Tower Hamlets, are supporting the investigation team and are absolutely committed to bring the offender/s to justice.
“Currently an extensive crime scene remains in place and police search teams are meticulously examining the Cemetery grounds for forensic opportunities.
“The community can expect increased police presence in the area by way of reassurance, and I would ask anyone with information to come forward.”
There was a recent attack in Birmingham that was homophobic police believed.
They arrested a man wanted over a violent attack on two men in Birmingham’s Gay Village – and are continuing to try to find two more suspects.
A 31-year-old man handed himself in to one of our police stations yesterday after we issued an appeal for information on the whereabouts of three men.
He’s been arrested on suspicion of wounding and remains in custody.
It’s suspected they were involved in an assault in Bromsgrove Street at 4am last Sunday (15 Aug) that left one man unconscious and another with nasty cuts.
The victims – both in their 30s – were attacked with bottles having earlier been subjected to homophobic abuse shouted from a passing car.
The man, believed to be Mosin Mahmood, 31, handed himself in after an appeal in which he was named along with two others. He was arrested on suspicion of wounding and remains in custody.
In what police described as an “outrageous” and “shocking” attack, two men – named only as Rob and Patrick, who are in their 30s – were left covered in blood.
The married couple from Oxfordshire were first subjected to homophobic abuse by the occupants of a passing SUV car on Bromsgrove Street near the city centre.
They were then attacked with bottles, with both suffering cuts and Patrick left unconscious.
West Midlands police named and released photographs of three men after extensive inquiries, including analysis of CCTV footage and recording several witness statements.
On Sunday, Sgt Marc Petford said: “We’ve had a good response to our appeal and I’m grateful for people sharing it far and wide. This was a brutal attack and we need to find the people responsible.
“One man has been arrested following our appeal and I would encourage the other two to follow suit and also come and speak to us.”
On Saturday, he said: “This was a shocking homophobic attack on two men enjoying a night out in our city. It’s outrageous and we’re determined to bring to justice the people responsible.”
During the attack, Patrick had his phone snatched by one of three men as he tried to film the abuse, and one of their female friends was dragged along by the car as she tried to get it back.
The woman, who is in her 20s, suffered a foot injury.
Rob then ran after the car to challenge the abusers before they stopped at a red light, got out of the car and began attacking him with bottles.
Patrick said he ran to help but was knocked unconscious by one of the men.