• Thu. Jan 27th, 2022

Police officer charged with 29 sex offences against 8 women over a 10 year period

Byscarcity news

Jan 11, 2022
Advertisements

A Diplomatic protection police officer named David Carrick who was serving at the time he is alleged to have raped a women he took on a date last year. He was charged with this offence in October, but today he has now faced another series of charges after more victims have come forward.

Peter Burt, senior district crown prosecutor for CPS Thames and Chiltern, said: “Following an ongoing investigation by Hertfordshire Constabulary, with continued support from the CPS, we have now charged David Carrick with a total of 29 alleged offences against eight women.

Carrick has guarded the Prime Minister and worked for the same Met Police branch – the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command Unit – as Wayne Couzens, who kidnapped, raped and murdered Sarah Everard.

PC David Carrick, 47, was charged in October with the rape of a woman he was said to have messaged on Tinder then met in person at a pub in St Albans, Hertfordshire.

The woman claimed he attacked her at a hotel where he booked a room in September 2020.

Then last November, Carrick faced a further 13 accusations after three more alleged victims came forward.

Today prosecutors announced the officer was charged with another six counts of rape, one count of attempted rape, one assault by penetration and one of coercive and controlling behaviour.

Advertisements

These fresh charges relate to four women and are alleged to have taken place between 2009 and 2018.

The latest accusations are on top of 20 offences Carrick was charged with previously against four separate women, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

In total the defendant is now charged with 29 offences against eight women between 2009 and 2020, including 13 counts of rape, five counts of sexual assault and three counts of assault by penetration.

He also faces three counts of coercive and controlling behaviour, two counts of false imprisonment, one count of attempted rape, one count of attempted sexual assault by penetration; and one count of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent.

Peter Burt, senior district crown prosecutor for CPS Thames and Chiltern, said

“We remind all concerned that criminal proceedings against the defendant are active and that he has a right to a fair trial.

enz

“It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”

Advertisements

Carrick is due to make his first court appearance over the new charges at Westminster Magistrates’ Court via videolink later this week.

He will also appear at St Albans Crown Court later this month.

In November he was remanded in custody after his first appearance at St Albans Magistrates’ Court for the initial charges.

Merseyside officer had animal porn

A disgraced police officer who had ‘extreme’ pornography on his phone could face a new prosecution after it was revealed he took a selfie at a murder scene.

Ryan Connolly, formerly of the Merseyside Police, previously pleaded guilty to three counts of possession of extreme pornographic images in November and was due to be sentenced on Monday. 

However, sentencing was adjourned and a new hearing is due to take place in January.

It comes after an internal investigation by Merseyside Police’s anti-corruption unit revealed Connolly took a ‘selfie’ at a murder scene and sent racist and homophobic messages.

He resigned ahead of a police misconduct hearing which took place between November 15 and 18 and ruled Connolly would have been sacked had he still been a serving officer.

Manchester Crown Court heard on Monday that Connolly, 37, of Court Hey Road in Huyton, could now face criminal allegations as a result of that inquiry.

Henry Riding, prosecuting, said: “As recently as Friday the police have submitted a report but not a file for the Crown Prosecution Service asking them to consider the possibility of criminal proceedings arising out of the material that formed the basis of that gross misconduct hearing.”

Connolly spoke only to confirm his name in court on Monday.

Judge Anthony Cross, QC, adjourned the case until January 27.

As a result of the police misconduct hearing last year Connolly was barred from working for the police again.

It followed an internal investigation revealing a series of disciplinary breaches.

Connolly had taken a picture of himself lying in a field while he was supposed to be working on a cordon at the scene of a fatal attack on Danny Gee-Jamieson in July 2018.

The 16-year-old was stabbed at The Nook in Gateacre, leading to the launch of a murder investigation.

A teenage boy was later locked up for manslaughter.

Mr Gee-Jamieson’s mum, Mandy Jamieson, said “I just feel like Connolly has made a mockery of my son’s death. Like it was all a big joke.”

Connolly also photographed people detained under the Mental Health Act and while they were being observed in hospital and his personal mobile phone was found to contain depraved images including content that was racist and homophobic.

He was also found to have associated with a “known criminal” and had failed to disclose the relationship to bosses.

Following the hearing, Deputy Chief Constable Ian Critchley said: “An investigation by our Anti-Corruption Unit uncovered the fact that Connolly had been using his own phone to take photographs of vulnerable people whilst on duty and that the phone also contained appalling homophobic, racist and offensive images.

“It also revealed that Connolly was an associate of a known criminal and had not declared this association.

“His actions are an insult to the uniform and the police service, which consistently strives to protect our communities and provide a professional and inclusive service to the people of Merseyside.”

Advertisements