4 Blackpool killers chased and stabbed defenceless Mr Gibson to death

Three men and two women who carried out a vicious attack and then left a man for dead in the street have been jailed for a total of 92 years.

Mark Gibson (pictured right), also known as Mark Lamb, was beaten and stabbed and left dying on Carshalton Road, Blackpool, in the early hours of July 11th last year.

It followed an altercation between himself and the offenders at an address on nearby Boothroyden, which then continued onto Carshalton Road.

In court it was heard that when the fatal attack began Mr Gibson “posed no threat” to the group – yet they chased him down the street and attacked him with weapons including a knife, a spade and a tyre wrench.

Witnesses state that as the offenders walked away after the attack they were heard laughing and saying they would “let him bleed out”.

Four offenders were found guilty of murder last week, following a trial at Preston Crown Court, and were sentenced today (Tuesday, February 28th). They are:


Stephen Pugh, 41, of Chapel Street, Blackpool, sentenced to 25 years in prison.
Tina Walton, 43, of Boothroyden, Blackpool, sentenced to 17 years in prison.
Stephanie Steele, 38, of Raikes Parade, Blackpool, sentenced to 19 years in prison.
Shaun Neil, 43, of Boothroyden, Blackpool, sentenced to 21 years in prison.

A fifth offender, Aaron Chadwick, 34, of Warley Road, Blackpool, was last week found guilty of the manslaughter of Mark Gibson, and was sentenced today to 10 years in prison.

It is thought the group began their attack on Mr Gibson, aged 51, shortly before 1am. He was tackled to the ground on Carshalton Road, before being punched, kicked, attacked with weapons and stabbed.

He managed to free himself several times but each time was caught and the assaults continued.

Mr Gibson eventually collapsed. He was taken to hospital, but sadly died a short time later.

The cause of his death was established as a stab wound to his shoulder, which pierced his heart, while he had numerous other stab wounds, cuts and bruises.

Four of the offenders were arrested at around 1.15am on Boothroyden, having returned to the address of the initial confrontation to change their clothes and to clean a kitchen knife used in the incident.


Chadwick, who had left the area straight after the attack, was arrested two days later.

An investigation was carried out, with CCTV and detailed forensic analysis enabling officers to establish what had occurred and who was involved.

This included:
– Bloody footwear marks at the scene, found to match shoes seized from Steele, Walton and Chadwick
– Blood spatter and spots, containing Mr Gibson’s DNA, which were found on Walton’s trainers, showing she had been in close proximity to him when the attack occurred
– Mr Gibson’s DNA found on Steele’s trainers and Pugh’s elbow and trainers
– The knife, tyre wrench and spade, found at an address on Boothroyden with Mr Gibson’s DNA on them.

knife in bowl

Det Ch Insp Jane Webb, of Lancashire Police’s Force Major Investigation Team, said: “First and foremost my thoughts are with Mr Gibson’s family and friends. I hope today’s sentencing will give them some closure and enable them to move forward.

“This was a vicious, frenzied attack, which left Mr Gibson dying in the street while the offenders walked away, seemingly without any remorse.

“Mr Gibson posed no threat to them at the time the fatal attack began, yet the offenders displayed an almost animalistic level of violence towards him.

“I would like to thank the community in the local area for their cooperation as they helped us immensely in piecing together what happened to Mr Gibson. Without this support we would not have secured the convictions we have.

“I am satisfied with the sentences handed down today which sends a clear message in relation to the use of knives in attacks, which so often have fatal consequences.”

About Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *